Friday, November 10, 2006

my kifya



I am wearing my kifya a lot again, and it is really interesting what it does. First of all, I love how it is finally worn in more numbers on American streets, of course only by punks and their likes because who else wouldn't mind being associated with Arabs or whatever the kifya represents. Second its even more interesting that urban outfitters is finally selling kifyas in its American stores, it has been selling them in London for a little while now... of course if you want a trendy kifya you get it from urban outfitters for $20 bucks, and you have the wide range of colors from green on gray to yellow on black and the classic red on white and black on white. third, I get the strangest variety of attention on the street, sometimes a random mid-aged woman would give me a sort of supportive smile, as if I am fighting a battle not just going to class, and sometimes I get a random white usually fat guy who shakes his head side to side in disapproval, as if wondering, how can we allow someone express Arabness so publicly, or, I can't believe how good looking that Arab guy is... whatever.. It’s just funny.
now, its interesting that some people would find it strange at all to wear a kifya in public, as if here in Cambridge, in a liberal environment, we can be friends with sort-of-Arabs and sort-of-Muslims as long as they keep it on the down low.. You know, I'll be your friend just don't rub your identity in my face so much. I just love how some people out there would only be friends with us if we have serious schizophrenia about who we are, some kind of repressed identity issues or my favorite, with major inferiority complexes (people from a couple of countries in the mid-east are known for their inferiority complexes, they are a bit north of cypress and a bit east of Lebanon).... so funny how some make a point to denounce any possibly assumed link they may have with something so controversial these days.. Say Islam, oooh the boogieman...


oh just in case, here are some more bloggers from Iraq expressing their utter happiness for killing Saddam:
http://neurotic-iraqi-wife.blogspot.com/ >>>>>>>> "I didn't want the death penalty. I wanted him to get life imprisonment and rot in a one metre by one metre cell.

I wanted his pride to be broken. I wanted him to live to the day were he will see a better Iraq. Whatever remaining years he had, I wanted him to live them in fear, in solitude, in despair..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/6125608.stm >>>>>>>> "Saddam is nothing but a political card American politicians are playing against the American public.

And what exactly is his death going to do to improve Iraq or life in Iraq?

The sectarian tension or the security situation? The electricity or water? The curfews or the blocked streets? The puppet government or the dirty politicians? The loans of the billions stolen from Iraq as cash or oil since the invasion by Iraqi or Americans politicians?

Nothing at all."

No comments: